It is almost 5 months that I have been breastfeeding my youngest daughter, and it feels so good knowing that aside from being practical ans economical, it gives a lot of benefits for me and my baby.
Breastfeeding is just as good for the mom as it is for the babies. The hormones that are produced during breast feeding will curb blood loss post delivery and help to shrink the uterus back to it's normal size.
Breast feeding is proven to lower the chance of breast cancer. The benefits will begin to show with three to six months of breast feeding and increase the longer that breast feeding continues.
- Breast feeding is the single most important thing you can do to safeguard your baby and help to increase good health. Adding to that, it's free and almost generally readily available.
- Since it's free, you can easily keep your medical bills down. Babies that are fed with formula get sicker often and more severely than babies that are breast fed. Several of the illnesses they'll risk of having could be respiratory infections and hearing problems.
- Breast milk composes of antibodies from the mother to help guard the babies against possible and sudden illnesses. Babies dont form antibodies until their vital organs are a little more mature so breastfeeding can help them protect themselves during the first stages of their development.
- Sucking also helps the babies develop the muscle and bone alignment on their cheekbones and jaw. As the child gets older, their is less demand for costly orthodontic check-ups and treatment.
- Breast milk is always ready, always available, convenient, and always the right temperature for feeding. Plus, it contains all of the vitamins and minerals your growing baby needs, saving you a lot of money.
- The mother will also benefit from breast feeding as well. While the baby sucks on the mother's breast, this will cause contractions after birth. Contractions are good because they will lessen postpartal bleeding and will help the uterus return to its original shape before pregnancy.
- Breast feeding will also burn calories, so a mom can lose weight much faster than if she fed her baby with a bottle.
- The bond between the mother and the baby during breast feeding is one thing bottle feeding cant do.
The significant long term benefits of breast feeding include lessened risk of asthma, allergies, obesity, and some forms of childhood cancer. The more that researchers continue to learn, the better breast milk looks.
Breast feeding has also been associated to a child's high IQ. It was believed that besides making your child healthier, breastfeeding can also make them smarter. Scientific tests from both past and present show that children who were breast fed as an infant tend to be smarter than those who were bottle fed before. Breast fed does support brain growth, which is something all mothers should think about.